Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Guess what I did today?!

UGH! I had this done and posted and then to deleted it yesterday! Dog-gone-it! So, here's a quick recap:

Guess what we woke up to yesterday? I'll give you a hint:


O.k. two hints.


Figured it out yet? YUCK! We woke up to, let's just say....um....how do I put this tastefully (bad choice of words!)? A rather unpleasant surprise & having to wait till 2:00p.m. to shower or use our water facilities at all! A couple of hundred dollars later (thankfully not thousands or insurance having to get involved) we now have a clean septic tank, drain lines and some seriously sterilized bathrooms.
Lots of this was used by yours truly:


Having only been on city sewage before with our other two houses prior to this one, we learned something new yesterday (too bad the couple here before us didn't get to learn it): DON'T ever put grease down your disposal into a septic tank! It will literally turn into rocks...like it does in your arteries but, unlike you, your house doesn't quit just because it has a clogged line. Instead it just backs up and eventually comes out where ever it can!



We don't eat much greasy stuff because I tend to be a little bit of a health nut...not extreme but more than average around these southern parts. If you've ever been to the south, you know we love our fried anything! Apparently that was true with the previous homeowners.

All this to say, I didn't get my sideboard to the booth yesterday as planned. Instead, I spent the day wearing an oxygen mask (just kidding), sterilizing, and anxiously waiting to see what the damage was ($). I don't want to complain, though. We were blessed. It could have been SO much worse. I could have had restoration crews in my house for the next month!

Now back to stripping. Not that kind! Get your mind out of the gutter! I'm talking paint stripping. 

2 comments:

  1. I am new to your blog- and quite enjoying it. I signed up as a follower but don't see it showing...maybe I signed up anonymously without realizing it~

    Anyway, I enjoyed your TASTEFUL description of the sewage problem....didn't you just go "Oh Crap"! when it happened though? We had a house or two with septic systems and you are right-it can turn into a real mess...glad the damages weren't too bad.

    Looking forward to getting to know you- Hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. We have been on septic for over 10 years and have had ours pumped 3 times. With 3 boys in the house I figure it is getting a big work out.

    Thanks for the reminder on the grease. When we do cook greasy food (which isn't often) we usually pour ours into a jar and freeze it then pitch it when it is done.

    ReplyDelete

One of the highlights of each day is hearing from my readers!

Follow Me on Pinterest